• a nebulizer is a small device that can convert a drug from a solution
into an aerosol form by means of a compressor/compressed gas
• Nebulization creates a mist of drug particles that can be inhaled via a
face mask or mouthpiece soothing
• Bronchodilators are the most common nebulized drugs but many
others can be nebulized.
Types of Nebulizers
• Jet. This uses compressed gas to make an aerosol (tiny particles of
medication in the air).
• Ultrasonic. This makes an aerosol through high-frequency vibrations.
The particles are larger than with a jet nebulizer.
• Mesh. Liquid passes through a very fine mesh to form the aerosol.
This kind of nebulizer puts out the smallest particles. It’s also the
Advantage of ultrasonic nebulizer over jet nebulizer
• It produce higher output than jet nebulizer
• It operate quietly
• Delivering high humidity to patients with tenacious sputum to aid
Medications administered via nebulizer
• Beta 2 agonist (e.g salbutamol)
• anticholinergics (e.g ipratropium bromide),
• corticosteroids (e.g Budesonide)
• normal saline
• Antibiotics (Tobramycin)
• Antifungal (Pentamidine)